Yes, Virginia, every woman needs a room of her own. It’s your intimate lair, the sanctum that readies you to conquer the world. If it is not, then it’s time to create that fantasy. Your bedroom should enchant you first and, secondarily, anyone who is privileged enough to get an invite. Unlike the public spaces in your home, the bedroom is not about display or decor, but pure piggish enjoyment. It is also not about black satin sheets but subtler touches.
There is nothing like entering a room and being seduced by heavenly scent. Use candles, potpourri, incense, or room spray (see recipe below) to set the mood. Scent your sheets by adding paper soaked in essential oils during the dryer cycle. Plant jasmine outside your bedroom windows or balcony.Proven seductive aromas: ylang-ylang, jasmine, rose, Neroli oil, vanilla. Lavender is sleep-inducing, so tuck some dried sachets under your pillow.
Your bedroom must be beautiful. Ask a friend who is good at decorating to come over and help you move furniture and accessories. She will have fresh new ideas. When you like the set-up, invest in new bed linens. Put one or two pretty items up on the walls, but don’t overdo it, simplicity is key to restfulness. Use a dresser or organizing unit for your closet so that everything has a place to go. Order, not chaos, is critical.
Everything in your bedroom should feel delicious against your skin. If you like the temp icy, set the thermostat low and sleep under a down quilt.Add:
- Silky pillows to recline against
- Soft sheets, flannel in winter, extra blankets, a puffy duvet
- A chaise or upholstered chair
- Faux fur throw
- Layer rugs if your floors are wood
- Wear something silky to sleep in, or nothing at all
It is nice to play some soft music so you can relax before bed. Add a portable CD player to your night stand, or a clock radio tuned to the jazz or new age station. While you’re at it, why not wake up to that instead of more raucous sound?
A Word About The Bed
According to the designer we talked to, the hot look of the moment is the “big, loose, fluffy romantic bed.” Here is your shot. Wrought iron is inherently sexy, but any frame will do. Buy a coordinated set of linens which includes dust ruffle, comforter, shams, and bolster pillow. Use four regular pillows on the bed, two for sleep, two with shams (four creates a sense of luxury and they are heaven to read against). Add a few toss pillows.
You Might Also Like:
- Candles – Scented, preferably. No other room in the house deserves as many. Use pillars and votives liberally. Nothing but nothing makes a bedroom as sexy.
- Incense jasmine, patchouli (keep burner on night stand, lighter inside drawer)
- A green plant with pretty blooms, or single stem in vase
- Throw use at the end of the bed or on upholstered chair
- Comfy chair creates a sense of coziness. No, you will never sit in it; it is just for looks.
- Seductive pillows in sensual fabrics like velvets or silks
- Lavender room spray brings sweet dreams
- Something red adds a spot of intense color
- New sheets buy highest, softest thread count you can afford
- Low-watt light bulbs you don’t need prison lighting
- Condoms take out of package and discard box; let’s not advertise, or allow for curious counting
- Massage oil lavender is recommended
- Small CD player or DVD
- Bowl of apples the French use this for morning breath
- Scented lavender pillow crushed lavender inside puts out a powerful scent
On the night stand:
- Kama Sutra no pressure, of course
- A Gay Man’s Sex Tips For Straight WomenÂ
- The Soul of Sex by Thomas Moore
Fill a plastic spray bottle with water. Mix with 20 drops of an essential oil (available at the health food store and anywhere aromatherapy products are sold). Spritz and go wild.
The All Purpose Bed
The easiest bed in the world to do is the serene white or cream bed. Use white comforter, pillows, sheets, dust ruffle. It always looks good and don’t worry, it’s not that virginal. You’re in it, right? For variation, substitute a soft colored dust ruffle and one matching bolster pillow.